At the heart of Bestway Group’s philosophy is the desire to help those less fortunate than others by supporting charities and empowering communities in United Kingdom and Pakistan.
It is my article of faith that Bestway Group companies and charitable trusts embody highest standards of corporate social responsibility by supporting local communities and stakeholders that have contributed towards the success of the businesses.
The emphasis on giving back to the community is part and parcel of the Board of Directors’ well articulated corporate strategy. By focusing on the key sectors of education and health both independently as well as in partnership with specialist organisations, the Board believes that it can empower disadvantaged sections of the local community through economic regeneration and employment creation.
Sir Anwar Pervez, OBE H Pk
The advancement of education for public benefit in both the UK and overseas by providing assistance through promotion of local schools; provision of scholarships to university students; supporting education initiatives and endowing universities.
The relief of sickness and the preservation of health for public benefit in both the UK and overseas by way of grants and endowments to existing hospitals, clinics, medical research establishments; and by establishing new health facilities.
The provision of financial and material support to victims of natural disasters.
To have a significant impact on poverty reduction in Pakistan through strategic investments in affordable financial and social services catering to the poor.
The development of technical skills within the local communities in which we operate through structured apprenticeship and training programmes.
- In 1987 Bestway Foundation UK was established by Sir Anwar Pervez.
- Each year the Group contributes approximately 2.5% of its post tax profits to the Foundation.
- Bestway Group has donated in excess of £13.5 million in the UK alone to fund the Foundation in its charitable activities.
- In order to further enhance the grant giving mechanism, a sister organisation was established in Pakistan in 1997 and Zameer Choudrey was appointed Chairman of Bestway Foundation Pakistan.
- In Pakistan, Bestway Cement and United Bank have donated over US$9 million to charitable causes in Pakistan either directly or through the Bestway Foundation Pakistan.
- Since 1987, over 450 students of South Asian origin have been provided scholarships to attend universities in the UK, USA and Canada.
- In order to enhance the skill test of the local community, Bestway Cement has trained over 2,500 apprentices since 1998.
- The Bestway Foundation Pakistan provides 300 scholarships annually to students across the country.
- Bestway Cement has established four Basic Health Units in Thathi and Chakwal in Punjab and in Hattar and Farooquia in KP Provinces of Pakistan. These facilities provide free of charge treatment to over 20,000 patients on an annual basis.
- In December 2005, Bestway Foundation Pakistan adopted 29 village schools under an innovative adoption and management programme.
- Today over 4,000 school children are provided free education.
- To date over US$2 million have been contributed by Bestway Group companies and charitable trusts towards natural disaster rehabilitation and relief efforts.
- In April 2010, United Bank launched a home grown innovative branchless banking product ‘Omni’. As of June 2014 UBL Omni had a customer base in excess of 6.8 million, with over 1.5 million active cards in issue and 5 million monthly transactions valued at over US$253 million.
- Through the success of UBL Omni 1.55 million previously unbanked individuals have opened mobile bank accounts with UBL in Pakistan.
- To further enhance its affordable financial solutions offering, in June 2012 United Bank acquired Khushhali Bank Limited, Pakistan’s largest microfinance institution with over 1.5 million relationships and 118 branches in 72 districts.
- By end of June 2014, Khushhali Bank had cumulatively disbursed Rs 56.6 billion (US$576.7 million) and serviced in excess of 3.82 million loans.
For more information please download our comprehensive report ‘Bestway at the heart of the community’.